Repsol SA, leading Spanish company in the oil and natural gas sectors, is a global multi-energy provider working to drive the evolution towards a low-emissions energy model. In the 2021-2025 Strategic Plan Repsol SA took on these ambitious challenges by evolving towards a customer-centric, multi-energy company that’s committed to digitalization, innovation, strategic talent management, and new ways of working.
The company is looking for innovators and experts who could provide solutions in the Bioeconomy sector, in particular for the production of Bio-Butadiene from Ethanol.
A full summary of the challenge is available here:
The general aim is to develop Bio-Ethanol-to-bio-BD technology. For this purpose, a great number of the research and development activities will be carried out with the objective to reduce CO2 footprint at least 3,5 times from current Butadiene production processes, increase the use of non-food and waste biomass as feedstock.
The development of a new bio-BD technology must be included the following:
• Design and produce a new catalyst to perform the Bio-Ethanol-Bio-BD reaction.
• Produce bio-BD samples at TRL3
• Perform basic design/engineering package (BDEP) to evaluate the scale-up of the process.
Technical key criteria:
1. Analyse the key parameters of the feedstock as water content in ethanol and impurities.
2. Development and simulation of the reaction and purification systems (including flow diagrams and physical and kinetic models of the chemical transformations).
3. Study of the catalyst parameters (design, loading, working cycle, stability and regeneration).
1. Develop partnership with key players across value chain (bio-ethanol providers, butadiene consumers) in EU.
2. Simulate business cases for different scenarios of technology implementation (license cost projections and production profitability).
1. Perform FEL study as a basis of a future investment proposal
2. Update and detail road map of the product development from pilot to pre-commercial scale.
3. Develop a strategy for risks mitigation.
How to apply
If you would like to take the opportunity to submit a solution you are developing, or expertise you have in the above area, please contact us to email@example.com for an expression of interest by December 18, 2021
If you have any questions or would like further information, please contact us.
For other challenges in the Bioeconomy field you can take a look here.
The Wheesbee team from Innovation Engineering Srl is specialized in supporting Open Innovation initiatives by facilitating the matching between problem owners and problem solvers in the framework of a large network of innovative companies.
Contact us to be part of our network with your Open Innovation Challenges.